Thursday, September 18, 2008

Use what you have and make the most of it!






So we just bought a modest house in Portland Oregon. Its from the 1950's and its a ranch style house. I am thankful for it. I have been dying to decorate it and on one income that has been tough!(T works for a nonprofit) So I did not want to put anything up until we painted and did cool stuff to it.(Like the house is alive) Then one afternoon this week I decided enough was enough with the bare walls and no style to write home ABOUT! So I was desperate and got inspired. I searched in all my rooms (3) and even outside in the patio looking for stuff to decorate with. And guess what I found a lot of stuff! I could not believe it! I went shopping in my own casa!! So I went nuts while the girls napped.(thank God for naps, even though I did not believe in them at first) I picked up sofas with my bare hands and put up color with window coverings, I had already in the closet. Wow then I found a good find a 1950 yellow stepping stool that I used as a side table against the sofa.(which was outside left hear by the previous owner) I decided to get creative and make my casa look cute and not be held hostage any longer by the lack of money. It was like a Cinderella moment! Yes ladies and gentlemen you too might have stuff to reuse!(Wow I sound sooo Oregonian) For example a wooden TV tray can used as a side table and buffet and well anything you can imagine. Tory came home and said wow babe I love it. Those words are powerful to my ears after a long tiresome day of decorating on nooooooo budget! P.S spray paint in my best friend in the whole wide world it can transform any piece of ugly furniture you have! Have a wonderful time looking at all your stuff with bigger lenses! Also look on craigslist and thrift store and or moms casa!!!!

3 comments:

brad said...

That's so cool! I think it's cool to decorate on a budget because it forces you to be more creative. I was laughing about our house the other day because it still kind of looks like a college student house - mismatched furniture, paper back books everywhere, etc. But we like it that way!

CK said...

You are probably the most resourceful person I know! Way to go! You took it to a new level with shopping in your own house. My place is as bare as bare can be since we can't really put nail holes in the walls and it isn't worth it to paint or buy frames for just two years. I would rather travel with that money (or buy jewelry or clothing!! Amazing, and love the blog, btw.

M said...

I want more pics of what you've done with the house! I love your house! (:

LOVE!